A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

what if I told you

what if I told you
in words that were so perfect
that they betrayed every feeling I had

for you

to you

not
what I would want to say,
or what I would want you to believe -
but all of it, with everything bad! all
my doubts, and my certainties: all
the thoughts that scream, oh! God,
hell, this
could not work out anyway.

it's too far to reach

could it?


What if I said

all of it. All of that. All
the bad, swimming underneath
plus all the ways that you make me feel
better than I've ever been, but not
better than I am

all the ways that I want you, too

and the ways that I wish you were mine,
despite knowing you almost certainly don't deserve
the kind of crap you'd be in for,

if only I could tell
you
in such perfect words
that you would somehow know in an instant,
and be sure.

I don't even know what you'd be sure of.

You would be sure
of everything
that those words add up to.

You would take it all in, and tell what it's worth:
every side of my mind, where you're concerned

you would know what to put last
and what comes first

No comments: