A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Sunday, February 26, 2012

How old are you supposed to be?

How old are you supposed to be?
just interested, it's nothing but
a number, sure - but nonetheless
I can't even begin to guess:
you act like you were seventeen
you talk like you are thirty-one
you dress like you are twenty-three
(with class and taste beyond your years
and budgeted beyond one's means)
you reminisce as if, as if
you're middle-aged (or further, wow!)
you kiss as if you're younger, though:
say forty-five, and at a woman's sexual peak
you fuck as if
we're both just kids
and doing something dirty, sweet
and undiscovered, 'til just now
with you, and me
I can't make out
how old we are
I know we've both got good I.D.!
I saw them let you buy the beer
your other hand obscured the date
at least, it did from over here
your picture looked like you do now
which is to say: so fucking great

No comments: