A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Saturday, February 12, 2011

this little old couple

this little old couple
sat right next to me at the bar
of the wine bar / cafe
that I sometimes frequent after work.
it can be hard to go home, when you know -
it's such a cute little place,
the food's really something.

this little old couple
at the little wine bar cafe
were so adorable
they asked about what I had picked,
and was it good?

it was. The husband ordered the same thing, and
I wasn't listening in

but they were so adorable
that my heart broke open again.
once again, another damn time
with both halves cleanly-split
like my salad's avocado - with its hard,
heavy pit -
aching
from the loss of the one
who I thought I would grow old
with.

It can be hard to go home, when you know -
what you know. But, you know,
I'm not ready - I've never been ready
to give up. But

I guess I need someone new
to grow old with.

1 comment:

kourtney said...

Awwww, this broke MY heart!! There is hope though! (You told me/us that once, and I believed you! =)

The person I thought I'd grow old with, already thought I was old
(42). So now I am looking for someone to grow YOUNG with! ;)

Here's a cute little story of 'hope': The other day I saw the most adorable, little old man standing in one of the aisles at the drugstore, intently studying something. When I walked by, I realized he was in the condoms section! =D