A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Saturday, September 05, 2009

I've been using my love for you

I've been using my love for you as furniture
I've been sitting on it, lying down on it
eating off of it. Not directly, of course!
The food itself is on plates and in bowls
that rest upon my love for you. I'm not a
savage.

I've been using my love for you as plates and
bowls, and cutlery, finest silver - I polish
my love for you, I lay it out on the sideboard
and then I buff each piece until it gleams.

I've been using my love for you in mundane ways
just to get through life, every single day
I don't think I can even do without it now.
It's become such a part of my life,

somehow I use my love for you as a crutch, not just
in the sense of an alcoholic's liquid lunch, but also
in the sense of an actual crutch. I hurt
my foot pretty bad, tripping over my love

I leave my love for you lying out all around
it takes so many forms I never know where it's found
it has multiplied and shifted shapes, repurposed intent
I doubt I'll ever get my arms around its extent

No comments: