A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Thursday, September 20, 2012

that old couple

I used to think
when people talked about wanting to be
that old couple, what they meant was, basically
"we'll have to fake it, but could be fun!"

Could be fun. and
after a while, the hang of it
could get pretty convincing. That's how I thought
that old couple must have always pulled it off. But
suddenly I think I was wrong, 'cause girl

I have only just suddenly met myself
and my future, and you and all
the signs point to us. We are
already that old couple. Right
the fuck now. While we're still
young,

carousing,
discussing baby names objectively,
planning to strike a fairly late 1960's
adulthood chic, our ritual cocktail
and blowjob tradition after whoever's
hard day at work (if such a grisly thing
should continue to be necessary,

it can be bourne, given
sufficient panache). but when

You called me your porch-swing guy. And I
knew exactly what you mean - I saw it, I
have not even had a chance to sit down
with you on an actual porch-swing, yet
in an instant, I knew we were already

in full, gentle swing

in the way
that my shoulders
and your so soft curves
and all our limbs together
settle in, infinitely
new and every combination,
every intertwine perfect as if
each of us could be the other's hammock,

I can't wait to go hunting
for the house with a big front and wraparound
side porch, and begin
to sit and swing. You
get the sun tea started, you

are the one

with whom I already fully intend
to putter around.

No comments: