A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

if doubt

if doubt
alone could overrule what's real
we'd take a world of pains
to keep ourselves
from doubt at all,
for fear we'd
dash a solid truth
by pushing it from phantom wall
to shatter upon phantom plains
with an illusory
fall

When two believe, belief can make it so.

But, we can stand some doubt
my dear

for doubt alone can't cloud what's true
when two can read each others' eyes
what's there in yours can overrule
all doubt, all fear, all will in mine
And, maybe some big bolt of blue
from cloud-dark skies
comes searing through
to fuse my nerve
in firm resolve
- but I don't need
such measures,
love

I just need you to say that you believe
- and so do I

In fact, you need not say the word
I've been convinced a thousand times
'til all I need to hear is a sigh -
that sigh can dash a thousand lies
the fool part of me tells myself
about how good enough I am,
or not,
or what I do or don't
deserve,
or every flaw
in every plan

those are the phantom walls and traps
and obstacles that doubt lays down
the truth is: we will skip
straight through, and over, else we'll go
around

What madness two believe, belief can make it sound.

No comments: