A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Cute As Boots!

you're as cute as a new pair of boots
that you bought half-a-size too small
just to have them at all
snagged the very last pair
will you wear them around?
will you wear them at all?
they pinch don't they, oh
will they get comfortable
after you break them in?
they're so cute with your hair!
and your outfits and jeans
after you break them in,
- do you think you will, though?
after you break them in,
bet they won't mean a thing

1 comment:

blue said...

I like where this one starts going, but it ends up not working for me, because everyone knows that you love boots best when they're broken in! Yes, clearly, you're not talking about boots. But I still think the metaphor should hold true for its non-metaphor reality.

Of course, the speaker could just be someone who doesn't deeply understand the love people have for their boots, or someone who has only known shallow boot-lovers.

I had steel-toed Doc Martin boots I wore until they were like a sock, they were so softened. My mother threw them out. I still don't like to think about it. Makes me sick. They were perfect! They hardly smelled at all, only a little like old mud and puddles.

The word verification is making me type in "meatiper." Calipers to measure meat thickness?