A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, July 26, 2023

chip away the cracks

I feel like I've lost 
a piece of myself 
with every memory 

drifted off who knows 
where, now. Gone
when I wasn't looking,

don't even know now 
what goes in the spaces.
Gaps left, nothing
but nothing
between 

to connect.

I wonder what if it all 
came back at once, how
much difference would it 
really make?    

Oh, I don't mean
serious impairment yet.
Just everyday glitch,
troubling in all the minor
ways I forget since I was
a boy. I know
I'm too 

young

for worse than this,
but maybe I'm not?
Just missing a few years'
worth of interstitial
material per decade, 

probably

taking pieces of me 
with it. The important 
stuff stays fixed in place 
by regular reference 
and stiff dependence, but 

I wonder sometimes
what's going missing, 
dissolving into background 
while I'm paying attention 

to more important things

No comments: