A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, April 22, 2022

devil-cursed barbecue

I had dream once.

It was on a road trip
through some pretty lumpy country

and

the places we ate
were kind of hostile quaint.
Anyway
that night I
dreamed I was
watching tv.

The only channel
was the local channel, full
of local doings.

A commercial came on.

Some dude

in a messy outfit with big sweat stains
was like: "Come on down
to Devil-Cursed Barbecue! All 'round
these parts know my paw's paw
sold his soul for the secret
to our devil-cursed sauce.
Well,

he's retired now, and paw died
in the whole road fire thing
years back, but I carry on
the infernal family tradition
handed down with that selfsame
hellaciously tasty sauce! Come on
down! People come from miles
all over just for a taste - and I guarantee you,

nobody
so far
has ever been carried off to hell
by a demon in our restaurant. Just
make sure you say grace to be safe." 

Damn when I woke up 
I was in the mood for some barbecue. But 
we asked 
and there was no barbecue around 
for a hundred miles 

it felt kind of eerie 

No comments: