A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Monday, June 07, 2021

transferable

My affection for lizards is deep and fine. 
From a distance I dote from respectful mind, 
noting difference in each, and letting each be
as so many lizards make room for me. 

For a time I will love this one as it grows, 
and behaves in its way from its favorite perch, 
'til one day I confuse another for it. And I love 
them both, but I'm not sure which. Sometimes 

I have grieved, as some flash-black snake whips 
way up the screen where my buddy had sunned, 
or a bird starts acting all comic berserk! Flown 
bonk off a wall, thrashing 'round for fun 

- 'til I realized: death. There was nothing I did. 
Maybe nothing I could have done. Poor kid. 

Maybe God's like this. Through infinite eyes, 
It tells us apart by behavior and size, until 

something occurs to confuse the scheme. 
So fondly we're loved interchangeably, 
in a love that transfers generations on down.

Watch out, bud. There's snakes
here, and birds
around. 

Meanwhile, do pushups and preen for sex, 
and catch and eat bugs. And each other,
I guess. 

What's next?

No comments: