A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

the love of a life not to be

she was the first person
I saw myself getting old
with. And loved
it! Loved
what it was all going to be
With her.

When we
broke up,

the entire
continent-sized peninsula
projecting off from in front of us -
the future
- a future
- our future. Nothing

more. It cracked

at our feet,
and wrenched rumbling off
to one side, into and through a
dark, foamy, sparkling
and angry sea, and then
slid behind. She
wasn't on it. She wasn't
beside me - just gone. I can still feel

inside of me, the shape
and details of a land
mapped and plotted,
that will never be trod
or tilled.

We had it
made real,
together. Real enough
to go live there, and know the way. But
that whole span of land
has now foundered, and sunk
behind - and you

are somewhere,
gone.

The part of me that stood there that day,
too shocked to speak,

stands here still refusing to weep.

No comments: