A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

first date.

As I sat across from you,
as we sank to converse
I could tell. And I knew
I could get it no worse
than the bad I now had.
Oh, and I had it bad.

There wasn't any obstacle
I could see

to prevent us from spending
as much of eternity
as we'd give so glad
- if you gave.

I presented best sides
as I flew, as I tried
to behave, just in case
you could see it, too.

See anything like it.

I was so brand new
in that moment, I could see
all the way to old age.

My teeth
began to crack
as the entrees were served,
and away they gave
as I chewed, and I tried
not to cry as my flesh
lost tone, fell to sag

and I mourned
at the loss
of this dear old bag
of watery meat, which
has served me so well.

As I swerved in my seat
in a quiet, and carefully
concealed wave of grief
- I reflected

it was going well.

And my bones lost mass,
became delicate things.
And dessert was served,
- my hands were skeletal wings.

But all the way through, we laughed
'til we cried,

'til I died.

You

were never any less
beautiful than when
I first picked you
up,

that night I tried.

When I asked.

When you said yes. And
who knew
where such a funny thing

could be going to? But

they always told me that
I move too fast.

I wanted too much future,
I guess.
Let it slip
to past.

2 comments:

Mel said...

This is so beautifully, lovingly poignant and moving.

dogimo said...

Thank you! I thought it was a rather strong mix of beauty and horror. Lifelike.