A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Monday, March 12, 2018

pretend what's real

Thank you for the kind effort,
giving me

an alternative narrative to believe,

but I prefer to pretend what's real.
Or what people tell me is real. It's more
disappointing sometimes, like bleak
foreign films without a soundtrack, but

I find something satisfying
and lifelike about it.

Lifelike: a virtue we prize
in art more than life, arguably

But I can always point
to the time in my life -
one long montage of walks in the park
eating hot dogs and laughing,

shorthand for falling in love
with you

and say "it is unrealistic to live

expecting life to be this way,

or when it inarguably, empirically is,

expecting it to stay,"

1 comment:

Steph said...

There's something about this poem that makes me see it differently on each reading. It's a nice effect. Well done.