A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

the poem to make you feel bad about bums

"open and shut"

I am made out of something
most people can't see
they tell themselves one thing
and step over me
my cardboard sign hangs
at a despondent angle from my hands
I've kind of given up on it
as a strategy.
I was a once a kid
mom said big plans
bright-eyed
the future lied
but it keeps coming forward anyway
for me
stepping right up towards me,
as if I don't know what it holds! - and
stepping over

the future wears the suit
and carries the case
I always pictured me having,
never knowing what for -
I'd slide casually behind
some hardwood desk, swing
the case up, slap
it down, spin it
around, snap
it open

now shut.

No comments: