A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Thursday, June 15, 2023

dream dying Pt. 1 & 2

As a small boy I got shot in the forehead
and fell down in a dream. I knew
I was supposed to lie there, dead, but
the other kids all kept running around
in the wide-open maze we were playing in
(a lot of freestanding partitions. Not really
a maze, but enough to provide some cover).
I think one team of kids had guns
and the other did not.

Pretty sure I did not. 

Anyway, after a while lying there
I tried the edges of the hole with my finger
and came away with blood. I even probed

into it a touch.

It was freaky cool. Past a certain point
all the other kids running, yelling, playing,
shooting - I got up and started running around
again. "Fuck this," was my thought 

though I was too young then 
to know the words for it.  

They all complained. "Lie down!"
"You're dead!" "You're doing it wrong!"

A while later a kid at school told
the other kids all grave spooky serious
how if you die in a dream you die in real life.

I laughed out loud. The kid was all look of accusation.
I couldn't explain. Too much.

I was just like "I'll chance it." 

Another (dream) time I was ambushed, engulfed, suffocated
and totally dissolved by the Blob. The movie monster

the Blob. My worst horror monster, though slugs 
were actually worse, fear-wise. Slugs were real.

The process was gross. There was nothing left of me
after. But apparently the Blob miscalculated. I was still
aware, and with no body left ("my poor body!!"
I remember thinking - it was ineffably sad,
the whole thing) I was, by default...the Blob. 

So I rolled my murderous amorphous mass
away from the scene through tall weeds,
feeling them stick and bend under me, leaving

a smoking trail. I was determined that nothing like this

would ever happen to anyone again. That night, 
that dream, the Blob became vegetarian. 

No comments: