A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

backbellyness

I was looking up words of -ality 
trying to discern their ittiness. 
Was personality a personal itty?
Or the -ality of a person? I guess 
it may seem to you a bit picky 
to care. 

But it seems to me
the difference 
is stark,
staring,
abject

huge. 

If one's person 
truly has -ality, 
- this could be discovered, 
determined! It would be detectable! 

Something could be known 
about it. 

Whereas, if it's just 
the ittiness 
of being personal, well. 
We all have that. All unique, 
nothing special 
about it. 

So I perused and pursued the point 
'til some quarry had been cornered
and turned, and partly abused, and 

ultimately it was "dorsiventrality" 
that provided the clue. "Back-bellyness," 
the quality of having distinct surfaces 
corresponding to backbehind and
underfront: as of a leaf! Or of you

I started 

to think of your backbelliness, 
and I'm abashed to admit 
I forgot all about your personality. 

I think we'd better face the fact: 
whatever personality is, 
dorsiventrality is a 
part 
or two 
of it. 

No comments: