A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

last-minute decisions

I love this book I didn't want
it to end, and
it hasn't yet, but
I'll slow down if I can
I cannot begin again
I cannot begin again
once it's over, to start over
would be nothing but pretend

as if things could turn out
differently, that's
not how books can work

unless they make a movie of it
but I hope they keep the ending,
since
I haven't reached it yet, but

shit. It's got to be
so good, I hope
it's good enough to keep! How
can you slow it down
while plowing headlong forward with
your hope in throat
so deep?

I can't.
I'm stopping now.
Let's let suspense fill in
the rest, and I

will set aside my hope,
to sleep.

This morning, once it dawns,
I'll wake blear-eyed and bushy
-faced, exhausted from the pace

I've made, pick up
the book, from where it's laid

- and make the choice

No, never mind.
It's made.

This book will never end. I'll pass
it on to one dear friend, and swear
her to a secrecy:

don't spoil it again
for me.

No comments: