A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Monday, January 16, 2012

birth defect

My feelings are no deeper
than the tip of my tongue,
and the top of my head
is plugged straight into my heart
because that is where most
all
of my thoughts come from.

It's a birth defect
I'm just lucky I guess

I will bore myself to sleep
with everything that went wrong
and wake up knowing what to do -
and it's okay if you won't
I am a surface of infinite shallowness

it's a birth defect
I'm just lucky I guess

I can tell you any answer
without having to think
because I'll never stop to wonder
what you meant when you asked
I will take my best guess
and that's the answer you get,

it's a birth defect
I'm just lucky I guess

and you can try another take
and I will take it from the top
as many takes as it takes
to get it right, I won't stop
I'm on my personal best
I don't deserve or try
or have to impress
anybody ought to see
that I just do what comes next
I can't take credit
for a blessed bit
of any of it.

I am a surface
of infinite shallowness,

and I was born so inclined
that I have rolled ever since.
My heart lives on the tip of my tongue,
it's a cinch -
I will have to sneeze for years
to make up for how much

I am blessed.

it's a birth defect
I'm just lucky, I guess

No comments: