A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

not going to

this time,
I am not going
to be able to make it

"it's okay"
"it's going to be okay"
is what I always say, but now

there are things
massed and massing
on horizons all around

and things that build
and build and build, up inside
to tear down

and between them there is only me: and
all I used to think, believe,

and hold to,
every time of need.

and this time, it
won't work

I see

5 comments:

Steph said...

Wow. Sometimes that random link pops up the right poem at the right time. This is one of my favorites. Took me a few reads to take it all in.

dogimo said...

Wow.

This one is pretty imposing.

I hope I made it out of there.

What a ridiculous sentiment.

Steph said...

Sometimes one needs to be dark and brooding, and such occasions call for a poem like this. But given that I've read enough of your other stuff that you have written since this one was penned back in 2011, I've seen that you don't stick to the dark stuff full time, so it's really just a moment in time. Ridiculous sentiment? Not really. I stand by what I said about it being one of my favorites, but that may have more to do with the reader. ;)

dogimo said...

No, no I meant my own sentiment! "I hope I made it out of there." A little absurd as remarks go. The poem itself wasn't ridiculous sentiment, nor your remarks.

I think I tend to have twists of bittersweet in my happy stuff, poems or songs, but the sort of contemplation of despair deal here is pretty rare. I'm sure there may be a couple more, but those will probably come off as more in-the-moment emoting. This one is so matter of fact, quiet, a calm resignation having taken stock and reviewed one's resources. Markedly unusual. Forgot I wrote it! Glad I did.

I think I'll go dash off one of those emoting ones. Eh. Maybe later.

Steph said...

I think it's because your poems do tend more toward happy stuff with a bittersweet twist that this one stands out in particular. Because I don't think you have too many like it on this blog. So in whatever realm these poems exist, I can see that this one is merely part of a range of feelings and ways of experiencing life. After all, I could click the random link and get a poem that puts a smile on my face next, so the despair present in this poem is merely a temporary state, and sometimes one just needs to be in that.