A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Friday, January 15, 2010

pickup or delivery

anxious
someone is on their way
waiting,
will the change be right
will the right change be there?
for the right tip, and tax
have I checked for that?
an eternal suspense
I have never ordered
I never placed the call
I never told anyone what I want, but
I cannot shake the feeling: somewhere,
there is a pizza coming
there is always a pizza coming
the feeling is always in the air
as the front porch light stays lit, waiting
for it,
and I get up and pace
and I check the face in the mirror
and I try to remember
the last time
I ever even placed
an order for pizza delivery.
been years, surely
it can't have been me who called
who is coming to see me
and what is going to be on it?
the pizza has been coming for
as long as I can think back
- and I'm starting to think,
it will never arrive
never land
never reenter
the timestream, the world
of reality, of "ding-dong!"
of "just a minute!"
of "here you are -"
"- there you go,"
no.
This is one pizza that will never show.
But when it does,
it will be so damn piping
fresh
and hot
I will not
be able to believe.

I hear tires outside

No comments: