A Pocketful of Poesy was and is again a Poem-a-Day(-on-Average) Blog! For 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and now for 2017 and going forward, you may expect to see 365 poems every year, 366 for leap years.

but aren't they all random?

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

permanent daylight

as permanent daylight breaks over me
as the last night I'll ever know
draws sighing to a close
and you draw me up higher
than horizons can go
the horizon curves in
and becomes a globe -
we swing west fast in orbit
cuddle cradle in close
fleeing sunrise at first
but the sun gains slow
and we slowly lose sky
to its closing-in glow
in its closing-in glare
days weeks months fly
now it's overhead, noon
it's a little past high
now, it's afternoon now
it's been years since the dawn
flying faster, somehow
it creeps increments on
we fall tiny slips behind
we push forward, force will
force effort, force mind
but the sun is falling still
towards the globe's growing edge
straightening horizon curve
as the sun slips past the line
the last day I'll ever know
falls sighing to the earth
and my permanent daylight breaks
down

for the first time in long decades
I feel gravity restored
at some point you must have slipped
from me, and flown without a word
I squint blinking in the rushing wind
and then I turn my back
upon the earth and search the pale
as the stars poke through the growing black
The growing earth is breathing, hot
upon me as it comes

and the night will fall
with me inside
so warm, still
from the sun

No comments: